I thought making my own beats was going to be easy, wrong!
So, I want to make beats! After being at the club with my boyz earlier this year I finally broke down while watching the DJ have his way with the crowd and watching them go NUUUTTSSSS on the dancefloor. After his set I asked the DJ “where the heck are you getting all your dubs made some of those remixes were just wicked” He smirks and say’s “Would you believe I did them all with a lil’ $40 standalone beat maker?” At the time I knew there was cubase, protools, and others that cost a lot, so did DJ gear, so I always shied away from making beats because of the costs - $40? Wtf – “ok can you tell me what it is?” “DUBturbo – it’s basically a sequencer, a sampler, a 16 track mixer, a drum machine, and a keyboard all in one with thousands of samples and voxes and wicked sounds” hmmmmm, so THAT’S how he was doing it….
Went home, turned on the PC, started reading and listening to the dubturbo demo’s and was rather shocked. “Wtf, how are they doing all this for $40 – it must be crap – but that DJ had it and there’s tons of buzz out there…meh I’ll spring the $40 they have a refund policy and to be honest the thing looks like it’s worth at least a few hundred so I’d probably have sprung at least $100 for it (If you guys ever read this, DUBturbo staff, you should raise the price a bit it just makes people think ‘it must be crap if it costs so little’… then again you got me, I did buy it and even got the extra stuff… anyway kudos on the kits they slam!).
Ok so now a few months have passed, I’ve been cracking out hiphop, r&b, reggae, even some jungle after watching the tutorial videos… Oh recently even made a nice house track (I usually hate house!), which I’m diggin’ a LOT but it’s only because the kits they give you are grimy, dirty, unique, and kinda make all the genres sound wicked no matter what (as long as your patterns are setup right, follow their videos the dude that hosts teaches you really fast and really well).
Official DUBturbo website: www.dubturbo.com
- 1000′s of drum kits and sounds for ANY type of music.
- Easy video tutorials to get you started with your 1st track ASAP!
- Add rhythm to your tracks by using a fully functional 4 octave keyboard.
- Remote use – use dubturbo ANYWHERE that has internet OR on your pc/mac.
- Import your own samples and sounds (my favorite!!!!!!! I sample stuff a lot)
- It’s daaaaamn cheap compared to the rest and it does what I need really fast.
- It’s not a VST (I’m just learning what these are)
- It’s not midi enabled so you can’t connect your midi keyboard
- They keyboard triggers that I’ve been using are wearing out the letters and numbers on my keys lol.
- It’s not MP3 it’s .WAV. I know .wav is better and used for studios and stuff though
It’s hard to write about without making this page a mile long to describe all the features so I’m just going to copy/paste the main ones from their site, there’s more too I keep finding new funky shortcuts and features almost every day.
DT Sequencer – You’re Gonna Love It!
FEATURES: Keyboard shortcuts everywhere so you can maneuver around the ap and produce FAST! Familiar panel layout to big DAW’s and production tools make this EASY to use, and easy to transition into other software later in your career. We also link you to our contests and submission section from this screen to keep you fresh.
- 16 Tracks Of Stereo Boomin’ Sound To Build Your Hot Beats With.
- EASILY Draw in or Trigger Sounds w/Keyboard shortcuts.
- Draw In Bars & Build In 2 Clicks – Change Sounds/Patterns Fast.
- Drag & Copy Your Bars Around – Then Edit Them, Easy!
- Jog Through 1000′s Of Sounds & Drums Browse Or Pre-Set!
- Record Live To The Metronome or Draw or Tap In Your Beats.
- Edit Volumes, Go Solo, Mute, Save, edit Tempo + More!
- Export Your 44.1 Studio Quality .wav Master – Industry Standard!
DUBturbo BadAss Drum Machine Panel
FEATURES: EVERY Pad has a keyboard trigger assigned to it (going 1-10 (zero) moving up the keyboard) so you can bang in your beats on the keyboard you type on like you were on an MPC! THIS IS SICKKKKK < Must Try It!
- 10 Pads per Kit, 40+ kits, PERK = import your own samples!
- EASY To Record Your Beat With Triggers Or DRAW It In.
- Change Your Kit Selection On The Fly To Change Up Beats FAST.
- Edit Volume Of Each Pad + Perfectly Mix The Whole Kit Easily.
- Move Sounds Around, Erase With Ease – IMPORT YOUR OWN!
- All Drums Have Been MASTERED! Jaw-Dropping-Quality: Always!
- Stereo Imaging Everywhere (Your Beat Will Sound ‘Full’).
- Export Just The Drums Or Full tracks! Mute/Solo Export Calls.
4 Octave Wicked Sampling Keyboard
FEATURES: Two octaves of the four are controlled by your keyboard (the one you type on), So you can play your melodies using keys, NO NEED FOR MIDI CONTROLLERS – This is standalone – and proud! You get everything here from pianos, to saxes, stabs, hiphop hits, quirks, bass, bells, and top shelf samples all around to ensure authenticity in each beat! And you can import your own sounds easily.
- Awesome 4 full octave keyboard, Others Give You 1 or 2…
- Simply Draw In Melodies Or Play/Record With Keyboard!
- Change Your Instrument Selection On The Fly – NO load time!
- Edit Volume Of Each Sample + Overlap Other Sounds FAST!
- Move Sounds Around or Erase Notes With One Click.
- 1000′s of Sounds – All MASTERED & Stereo Imaged!!
- Auto Quantize Your Recording – Notes Snap to The Right Spots!
All of the above is without a doubt great, but I think what makes DUBturbo stand out from the crowd and be on TOP, istheir video tutorials. The hardest part for a beginner is learning how to put all that stuff together to make your own beats that actually sound dope. Your first pattern that makes sense and makes your head bob forever with a smile…
That first melody you made, knowing where to place your notes, that first time you hit export and then listened to your .wav file knowing people are going to buy it/love it… With the DubTurbo training materials, that won’t be a problem for you and by the end of day one after watching a few videos and copying what they do, you’ll have done the above and more.
My Conclusion: Screw the haters out there, a) it’s $40 vs. $xxx – $x,xxx b) it has x,xxx samples which in my opinion is where the cake is (I’m learning how to use them with other samplers now too, shhh!), it does way more than a lot of the gear I was looking at in my music store re actual tangible beat makers and sequencers…
My newest routine usually includes making a few beats and variations of, then pulling them into other software to tie them together with my intro/outro or to make bigger loops from and master again. Most of my boyz that hear my beats all assume I must have picked up the motif or a k2000 or a triton… hehe $40!
CLICK HERE To See If The DubTurbo Special Is Still Running – If It Is GRAB IT Before You Close The Page
PS: If you go and the sale is over, if it’s still under $100 I’d grab it – and if you see the extra stuff once you’re in the members area and have a few more dollars left, don’t be shy to grab the extras (the sound pool is great!!!!!!!!!! But I’m not allowed to talk about that..). Anyway – thanks for reading guys, gals, parents, kids… DubTurbo gets a high 5 from me! The video on their homepage is great too it outlines the beatmaking world really well for new comers – go take a look >> Peace out and enjoy making your beats!